Monday, May 23, 2016

Surgery & First Week Post-Op

So, I've made a compilation of video updates from surgery day and the first week post-op, but for those of you who prefer to read, skip the video below and I'll do my best to fill you in.


I woke up later than intended the day of surgery, but once Dad woke me up at 5:30, I jumped out of bed, packed the last of my things, showered, shampooed and was out in the car in less than 20 minutes.  We paused long enough to take two quick "Before" pictures - one front and one profile.  I wish I had thought of that sooner so I could have captured better quality images.


  I hadn't slept much, but I still had this burst of nervous, anxious energy as we drove to the hospital.  I knew I wouldn't be feeling so hyper later, so I kind of enjoyed it while it lasted.  I was given my hospital gown, hair-net and I became giddy when I saw that the socks were purple.


I'd never seen purple hospital socks before.  Purple was my mom's favorite color, so I took it as a sign from heaven that my mom was still there with me that day.  That might seem silly, but the thought was comforting none-the-less.

There was a flurry of activity as five different people asked me the same repetitive questions, but everyone was really nice and friendly.  I advised them I had woken up early from being sedated one before, so they gave me an extra shot before taking me for surgery.  That sucker packed a punch!  There was about 15 minutes of calm before they wheeled me out for surgery.  I think I might have started dozing off, because I don't remember saying goodbye to my Dad or telling him I loved him or anything.  I do remember them asking me to move over onto the operating table and putting the oxygen mask on, but I don't remember having to count backwards like you see on TV or in the movies.  I just passed out instantly.

The next thing I remember was waking up really groggy in recovery.  My dad was there, as expected, but I really surprised to find my brother and sister-in-law there, too!  I remembered being very uncomfortable and wanting to sit up.  It hurt to move, but I just kept feeling if I could sit up, that the pain wouldn't be as bad.  So I wiggled and scooted till I was in a sitting position.  Everyone kept telling me to calm down and relax, but I just kept moving till I sat up enough to have some relief.

They inflated my abdomen for the surgery, so I felt uncomfortably bloated, my ribs hurt, my back hurt and it hurt the most every time I breathed.  I found out that I had a hernia repair during the surgery, which also added to my pain and discomfort.


The first day was pretty bad. My mouth stayed terribly dry since I couldn't drink anything. I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did.  My blood pressure went through the roof and I had to be put on medicine to lower it.  The pain meds made me horribly nauseous.  I looked so bad, the nurses were even concerned.

I had to do a leak test Saturday afternoon so, after having nothing to drink for 36 hours, I had to drink barium, which tastes like wet chalk.  They had the x-ray watch as I swallowed and showed me the x-ray image of my smaller stomach after it was done.  With no leaks detected, they brought me lunch shortly after - a wide variety of clear liquids.

I didn't want any of it.  I craved water because I was so parched, but even that I had to be careful with.  I could feel the movement of the water through my esophagus and into my stomach, and whenever the fluid hit my sleeve, it constricted painfully.

But, to say I recovered quickly is an understatement.  By the first night, discomfort aside, I was able to get up and go to the bathroom without help.  By the next day, I was getting out of bed with only a few grunts and groans and by Sunday, I was able to pack up my stuff to leave for home.

All of my concerns about being upstairs or downstairs were for not.  I climbed the stairs without a problem and got into bed with only minor discomfort.

I miscalculated and ended up waiting an extra day before moving back to full fluids.  I tried and learned that I like Tomato Soup, which was nice as it gave me a little more variety than I'd had before.  Slowly, my stomach stopped seizing up every time I sipped something.  I had some cramping and diarrhea for a couple of days but, by now, everything seems to be functioning back to normal.

It is true that I'm not physically hungry and, when I eat, I get full quickly.  Well - it's weird, actually.  I don't feel full in the usual sense.  Because I'm never hungry, when I eat, I pay attention to my breathing.  When my breathing changes, I know I'm full and stop eating.  But, I never have that "full" feeling in my belly.  It's just...."satisfied".   Now, if I open a can of soup for breakfast, I can eat the same can for lunch and finish it for dinner.  Same thing with protein shakes - they now last 3-4 meals.

The problem I am most concerned with is my psychology.  Although my body is not hungry - I'm mentally hungry.  Every food I see or smell or think about sounds good and I crave it.  I've called a Behavior Modification Therapist, but she never returned any of my calls, so now I need to try to find someone else.

Another post-op problem was depression.  By Tuesday (5 days post op), I began to feel down.  Nothing drastic, I just had a serious case of the blahs.  So, since I was feeling well enough, I set about doing housework.  I stopped when I needed to rest, but having a goal and a sense of purpose helped a little.

By the Wednesday after surgery, I went for a walk around my neighborhood.   I didn't get very far, but I figure I've got to start somewhere, right?  I also hoped the exercise might give me some endorphins to help kick up my mood.  I'm still battling the depression daily, but I find keeping busy is helping.

I've been contemplating going back to work early, since I feel physically able and since I am not getting paid for my time off.  I go for my Post-Op Evaluation tomorrow, so I figure I'll talk to my doctor and supervisor about it at that time.  I'm thinking getting back to the swing of things might also help with the blahs.

All in all, I lost a total of 10 lbs the first week after surgery.  I haven't experienced any weight loss this week thus far, but I know Rome wasn't built in a day, and it will take time to get where I'm going.

Thanks for taking this journey with me.

Please be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment